HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGossipGossipNewbieNewbie
Previous

Next
New Post
24/02/2014 21:49

Hello, my name is Bill, I am looking to join your group, looking to get out on the Wednesday nights to start and if my fitness levels are ok then would like to join you's for outings further afield

New Post
25/02/2014 17:04

Hi Bill,  

We usualy encourage new riders to firstly try out a local 10am Sunday ride, as riding through the woods on Wednesday night can be daunting and dangerous if you’re not used to it, but it depends on your experience/skills level,  as you  didn’t mention what your current skill or fitness level was?

The Wednesday night rides are faster than the 10am local Sunday rides, however they’re not flat out, but you’d need to be used to riding at a steady pace for a couple of hours in the dark, through the woods and muddy trails, probably equivalent to riding hamsterley red trails in the dark, we usually ride between 15-21 miles in around 2-2.5 hours riding, and usually finish by 9:30

One concern is that a lot of people don’t realise the difficulty in riding off road, if they’ve just been used to riding up and down the old railway lines  and we then get  people hurting themselves on their first Sunday ride, especially as the Sunday rides are not as technical or as difficult as the Wednesday ones, but other than that, if you feel that the Wednesday night rides would be ok then feel free to pop along.

The only other thing we ask is that you wear a helmet, have decent lights for the night rides (2-3 hours burn time), and you have a mountain bike which is in reasonable working order, tools and spares  and some half decent winter/mud tyres (i.e knobbly ones), as its very slippy and muddy at the minute.

Paul

club@beamishoddsox.co.uk

New Post
25/02/2014 20:58

Hi Paul thanks for the reply. I think joining up on a Sunday morning is a better idea, and if I don't die, then Wednesday nights it is. Fitness wise I should be ok at those miles in that time range, I won.t be there this Sunday as out on Saturday night, so definitely be there the following Sunday.

New Post
28/03/2014 14:33

Well hello again. Unfortunatly I have been unable to get out to a rideout yet, had back problems last year and they are back again, soon as I get sorted will try and get along.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGossipGossipNewbieNewbie