HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsNew Members and...New Members and...2013 New Member - help me get kitted out!2013 New Member - help me get kitted out!
Previous

Next
New Post
14/10/2012 20:30

Hi folks,

Sometime this week I should be taking delivery of my new mountain bike. It's been a while since I done any cycling. I used to cycle to work a few years ago (about 9 miles each way) but haven't done much since. Anyway, this is changing. I'll be looking at getting my fitness up for the remainder of this year then looking at joining you guys next year.

In the meantime I could use some advice getting kitted out. Here's what I think I need:

Camelback, gloves, lights, a bell, jacket, multi tool, puncture kit. 

I already have a couple of helmets from past cycling and loads of shorts and jerseys from my running days. Can you think of anything I should be thinking about?

any help appreciated. 

Dave

New Post
19/10/2012 14:46

It's because I mentioned a Bell, isn't it?

New Post
19/10/2012 15:34

Don't take it personally. The forum's not exactly buzzing with activity, and most people just expect someone else to reply...

To be honest, there's not really a lot that I'd add to the list there. Decent padded shorts are a must, unless your arse is made of leather. A pump is a good idea too, as is a spare tube or two. If you've had your helmets a long time it might be a good idea to consider a new one, as the polystyrene does degrade over time. Someone landed relatively gently on their 8 year old lid a couple of years back, and it ended up in about a dozen pieces!

New Post
20/10/2012 00:11

Haha. I didn't take it personally. My mate was giving me a bit of grief cos I mentioned it. I got a few things: new helmet, jacket, spare tubes, bike cleaner, lube, multi tool, puncture prevention and repair, gloves, camelback. Also picked up a bike rack for the car. Already had a half decent pump. 

Never opted for the bell in the end (no pun intended). Going to get some padded pants as I've heard that after a long ride it feels like you've ran backwards through a cornfield, naked.

All that's left is lights to buy, and a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition. But those can wait. Picked up my bike on Tuesday and haven't had a chance to get out on it yet. Think the first opportunity will be Monday. I'm off the following week so I fancy a blast around Hamsterley. 

Just reading through what I've written there I'm trying to work out if I'm as boring as I come across? I'm quite boring like.  More exciting than a lecture on ceramics but less exciting than watching eggs boil.

I appreciate the acknowledgement though. Can't wait to get fit then join you for some rides next year. 

By the way, whoever does your videos do a mint job. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsNew Members and...New Members and...2013 New Member - help me get kitted out!2013 New Member - help me get kitted out!