HomeHomeEventsEventsRidesRidesSunday 25th June - Cheviots & The Border RidgeSunday 25th June - Cheviots & The Border Ridge
Previous

Next
New Post
21/06/2017 21:31

This Sunday, 25th June, the away ride is in the Cheviots. Now some unenlightened people say the Cheviots is bland and boring. That’s because they’re not doing it right ;)
This route is a version of a route I did a few years ago after a dry spell and it was dry and mainly hardpack. It’s a bit of a wilderness epic with big climbs, big descents and big vistas. The weather lately has been mainly dry so I’m expecting more of the same. It’s at least 85% offroad with a variety of hardpack tracks, firm and rough grassy track, singletrack and stone flags.
Starting at Alwinton it starts with a climb north up Clennell Street through the edge of Kidland Forest followed by a cracking off camber descent into the Usway Burn where I’ll have a sweep stake on who takes the bridge and who takes the ford. After a short bit of ash track the route heads back south onto a grass double track with a great descent into the Coquet Valley and the only tarmac of the day as it follows the River Coquet up to just past Blindburn where its heads up onto Deel’s Hill and over to the Border Ridge. It then follows the Border Ridge singletrack and stone flags past the Mountain Refuge Hut, over Lamb Hill and Beefstand Hill before another cracking descent down The Street back to the Coquet Valley again. For those who want to, you can follow the road back to Alwinton but the full route climbs back up to the top of Clennell Street so we can enjoy the fantabulous offroad descent back to Alwinton.
Route stats:
Distance: 50km (30 miles) at least 85% offroad
Climbing: 1200m (4050ft)
Grade: Red
Food/Drink: You’ll definately need some so bring it as no café or pub stops. There’s a pub at the end for refreshments.
Start: 09:45 on the little village green in Alwinton on the right as you enter the village. Riding by 10:00.
Please let me know by 6:32pm on Saturday if you are coming as I may not get any messages on the Sunday morning.
Ta very muchly
Dave Simpson

Previous

Next
HomeHomeEventsEventsRidesRidesSunday 25th June - Cheviots & The Border RidgeSunday 25th June - Cheviots & The Border Ridge