HomeHomeEventsEventsRaces and Sport...Races and Sport...CRC Marathon - Selkirk 24-07-11CRC Marathon - Selkirk 24-07-11
Previous

Next
New Post
07/07/2011 01:11

Peeps,

If you weren’t already aware there is a round of the fantastic CRC Marathon Series (formally Kona and Merida) being held at Selkirk in the Scottish borders on the 24th of July.

These are more of a mountain bike reliability rides rather than an-out-and-out race and there are 4 distances to choose from:

Mini Marathon - approx 25 - 30km

The first step into the world of MTB Marathons.

The courses are not just shorter than their bigger brothers but also less technically challenging making them ideal for beginners, families who want to ride together and younger riders.

Half Marathon – approx 40 – 50km

The next step up in terms of distance and technical level from the mini marathon. Here you will come across some of the more technically difficult parts of the courses.

Middle Marathon – approx 60 - 75km

Sits between the half and the full marathon offering riders the next step up from the half or a good alternative if the full marathon is just a little long and tough on the day. You will find most of the challenging climbs and descents on this course.

Full Marathon – approx 80 – 100km

This is a real challenge for man and machine. This is how it all started more than ten years ago. You will be facing lots of climbing and descending as well as 4 – 8 hours in the saddle of your trusted steed.

All of the events are great fun with the Selkirk route taking in many of the brill trails used by Young Geoff during the Easter Peebles weekend and me on the Silly Summer ride a few weeks ago. [Apparently the organisers had heard such good things about the Clubs routes that they decided to nick some of our ideas for their event............honest! ;p ]

As this event is local(ish) the committee have decided to add this into the next programme as a club event.

Not only that – the club are going to cover HALF the cost of your entry too!

(Please note, uve actually got to do the event to get any cash).

There is free camping available and most of our riders from last year went up on the Saturday for a BBQ and bit of pre race “craic” and banter.

As the event is based at the Selkirk rugby club so there are proper showers, toilets etc as well as a canny bar! Plus the camping is on the playing surface so it’s nice and flat with no nasty lumps, bumps, hollow and stones to keep you awake at night.

Full details and entry can be found on:

http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/...

So c’mon get yer entry in and come up you’ll enjoy it – honest.

I know myself, Will Adie and Howard have already entered and there are quite a few other members thinking about it to. If you do enter please let me know as I getting asked who is going.

Cheers

chairman@beamishoddsox.co.uk - 07941720596

New Post
10/07/2011 18:06

Reet, I'm in. Full suss this year though as me owld back can't take the hardtail!

New Post
17/07/2011 21:38

1 week to go then, who's in?

anybody want to lift share up?

New Post
18/07/2011 20:33

Al, you doing the pretendy route again this year?

Who's going Saturday and staying over and who's travelling up Sunday morn?

New Post
18/07/2011 22:54

am gannen up Saturday afternnon like.. soak up the atmosphere n arl that.

Have you seen the route profile for the long course 9900ft of climbing..... with the biggest climb at the end ... really looking forward to this like.....gonna be a challenge thats for sure...

Who's doin what then.. Me and Tont are in the long one..

could be a day for the old minty arse lard this one...

New Post
19/07/2011 09:05

Proper route this year Simpson!  Are you going to make it round the course before night fall this year??!!

Planning on going up sometime on Saturday afternoon...

New Post
20/07/2011 11:38

Long 'un for me as I always do (just!).

Hopefully I wont feel like having a kip like lastyearafter 35km.

Howard, the last climb is usually up Innerleithen up to Minch Moor and is a shallow gradient but long. The problem being it feels like a 1 in 4 .

New Post
21/07/2011 13:00

Coyote Ugly wrote:

Proper route this year Simpson!  Are you going to make it round the course before night fall this year??!!

Proper route? thats what u entered last year then bailed at the 75 turning - have none of that this year young man!

New Post
21/07/2011 13:05

Im leaving about 130-200 and taking the club gazebo etc with me.

If you get there before me make sure there's enuf space for us all.

If you get there later, look out for the big red tent and the OddSox flags!

New Post
21/07/2011 13:17

tont wrote:
Coyote Ugly wrote:

Proper route? thats what u entered last year then bailed at the 75 turning - have none of that this year young man!

Who?  Me??

I was wondered if anybody might pick up on that little point!  In my defence (weak I know!), I did have sleepless the following weekend!

New Post
21/07/2011 21:21

The old 'I was keeping myself for a big event' chestnut.

Mind, it probably worked cos you won Sleepless didn't you Al?

I'll be heading up Saturday pm as well. I would offer someone a lift but I only have an ickle car so can only fit in 1 bike.

New Post
25/07/2011 12:18

Bloody Brilliant!!

Thanks to everyone who turned up and made it what it was.  Cracking weather and a great course again.  Found a few rainbow trout in my shoes this morning after that final descent!

Has anybody got memory map details of the course you could circulate?

Howard - next time, next time!

New Post
25/07/2011 13:20

Coyote Ugly wrote:

Howard - next time, next time!

am fotty n'arl ya nar....

Aye superb day that bloomin hot though , not sure how an Mtb ride could be any better, had everthing you could ask for..massive climbs MASSIVE relentless!!!!!....moorland trails, superb views, switchback climbs and even trail center woodland single track plus great decents...

That second water splash on the last decent.....  did not look that deep approaching it..stopped me dead..had to pull the tube from me camel back and use it as a snorkel......should have had sign saying portal to the Pacific Ocean...

Here is the tracklog from me GPS...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10...

i have the memory map one too which is better than the garmin thing they call a map, but dint nar how to attach it here..

well done to all who did it... mountain biking at its absolute best...

New Post
25/07/2011 22:07

There's a plugin for Garmin Connect that switches the map to a google map which then give you sattelite views etc plus a google earth view.

For those that don't want the sh**e that is Memory Map.

New Post
27/07/2011 10:26

Ye I agree with all the comments above, fantastic all round, like a months worth on sundays all rolled into one day with awesome weather to boot.

New Post
04/08/2011 16:14

Previous

Next
HomeHomeEventsEventsRaces and Sport...Races and Sport...CRC Marathon - Selkirk 24-07-11CRC Marathon - Selkirk 24-07-11